Easy fruit basket delivery in UK has made people take a healthy take on gifts. All around the year, there are different fruits available encouraging you to make your health a delicious matter. One among them is Apricots. These are the first sign of summer. These are green when raw, but when they ripe, they turn in to small golden orange fruits with velvety skin and flesh, smooth, sweet and not too juicy. It has a musky flavour with a hint of tartness.
Although they are fruits of summer, they can be enjoyed throughout the year, dried and canned. They are used in making marmalade, jams and jellies. These are also used in making brandy and liqueur. A rare form of oil is distilled from the pit of the peach fruits and is known as bitter almond oil or oil of almond.
And these are not all; Apricot is full of nutritional value. Let’s see some of these.
1. Vitamin A– Vitamin A is a fat soluble substance usually present in many foods. It is important for normal vision, immunity, reproduction and maintaining healthy teeth, skin, skeletal and soft tissues. It also prevents cancer and age- related eye disorders. Vitamin A is of two types, preformed Vitamin A, which are usually found in meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products. Another form is pro-vitamin A found in fruits, vegetables, and other plant-based products. Beta-carotene is the most common pro-vitamin A. Apricots are loaded with vitamin A.
2. Potassium– Potassium is a mineral and an electrolyte that helps in maintaining fluid balance in body, helps in movements of muscles and in regulating heartbeat. Consumption of sufficient potassium not only helps in maintaining normal blood pressure and preventing the chance of stroke, it also promotes healthy digestion and strong bones. Apricots help you stay full of potassium.
3. Fibres– Apricots contain more of soluble fibres and some of non-soluble fibres that help in maintaining blood glucose and cholesterol level.
4. Antioxidants– Apricots are full of antioxidants like Vitamin C and flavonoids which help in eliminating toxins from our body. They also get rid of free radicals produced naturally in the body on exposure to oxygen which, if not eliminated can damage the body on cellular level. Apricots have the capacity to increase the production of antioxidants.
5. Non-heme Iron– The specialty of this iron is that it is not easily absorbed by the body. The amount of un-absorbed iron stays for a longer period in the body and is more efficient when absorbed slowly. All plants especially dry fruits contain this iron.
Pick only fresh Apricot. Yellow and orange are its natural colour, but if you see an additional tinge of red in it, refrain yourself from buying because it might be from sulphur dioxide. The best way to consume apricots is in its dry form because it is most natural and safe this way. Now you know, when you are hungry, you can devour this delicious fruit at any time of the day. You can extract its juice or add it to your dessert and enjoy good health.