Citrus fruits come from the family Rutaceae. They are pulpy edible fruits, which can be consumed by either after peeling away their skin or by extracting their juice. Citrus fruits were mainly grown in the Mediterranean, but today have spread all over the world, especially in countries, which have warm climates.
Oranges and lemons are the most common citrus fruits. But other varieties include:
- Lime: Contains a lot of acids and good for detoxifying. Yellow-green in color, it is used for mainly culinary functions.
- Mandarin orange: This seedless orange is sweeter than all other orange varieties. It is useful for its high fiber content and free of fat and cholesterol. Essential oil is used as anti spasmodic because of its tonic impact on the digestive system.
- Clementine: It is the seedless variety of mandarin. Like the Mandarin, it is rich in fiber, potassium and Vitamin C. They are natural energy enhancers.
- Tangerine: It is known for its sour taste and has less content of acid. Rich source of Vitamin A, B-1, B-2, B-6. Calcium, potassium and iron.
- Grape fruit: A larger version of the orange is rich in Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Beta Carotene, fiber and less in calories.
- Kumquat: It has an edible skin. Mostly useful for wine making and other culinary purposes, they are also used to treat sore throat.
- Tangelo: It resembles an orange, but is oblong in shape. Totally free of fat and cholesterol, it has a large amount of Vitamin C and Vitamin A.
- Minneola: It is a cross between grapefruit and tangerine. It has a peel of bright reddish, orange color that can be easily peeled.
- Pomelo: Resembles a grape fruit but is larger with thicker outer skin. The fruit is less sweet than other fruit and is usually consumed as low fat snack.
- Satsuma: This fruit is seedless and easy to peel. It is rich in Potassium and vitamin C.
Citrus fruits are called as acid fruits. Because of their quality of detoxification, they have several therapeutic effects. Most people love citrus fruit not only because they’re delicious, but also for their health benefits. Some of the major benefits are:
- Rich in Vitamin C, a valuable nutrient. It boosts the immunity power of the body, combats germs entering the body and helps heal wounds. Helps combat flu, cold and cough.
- Helps prevent scurvy, a disease caused by deficiency of Vitamin C.
- Helps synthesize collagen, which helps in the healing of wounds.
- Prevents anemia by helping body absorb iron.
- Contains flavonoids, which reduce the spread of cancer cells and inhibits growth of tumors.
- Flavonoids are also anti-oxidants that neutralize free radicals in the body and helps prevent heart disease. Citrus flavonoids help increase blood flow through coronary arteries. They prevent blood clots and reduce oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Good source of potassium and folate.
- Orange peels are served after meals in China as it aids in the digestion of fatty, rich foods.
Citrus fruits are not only delicious additives to dishes, they also boost health and have use in preparation of cosmetics. So do include citrus fruits in your next fruit basket delivery UK when you want to send a fruit gift hamper to a loved one. They will be much appreciated.