One of the exotic fruits that are worth a try is the blueberries. Known for their lustrous blue pigmentation, the fruit is a marvel to the eyes. In addition, it has many health and nutritive benefits too which all the more envisages the consumption of blueberries. It can be either consumed solely or can be used as an item for fresh fruit basket gifts. Gifting blueberries is a viable option since; this fruit has immense benefits that are not known by many.
Nutritive value of blueberries
Blueberries come under the broad category of berries. They have a bouquet full of nutritional value making it one of the healthy fruits. One cup of blueberries (approximately 148 grams), has about 84 calories with a very low GI content. Further, it is a pool of rich vitamins and minerals. Around 32% of the content consists of Vitamin K which helps in blood clotting and also helps in preventing heart diseases. About 25% of the content is that of manganese. Manganese is an important constituent for bone strengthening as it helps in the production of certain enzymes which are essential for bone formation. Vitamin C constitutes about 19% of the nutritive value. Vitamin C is essential for healthy skin and hence is considered as very vital. 14% nutritive value consists of fibres. Fibre is essential for cleaning the colon and the small intestine. Hence overall, the blueberries are a rich source of vitamins and minerals and are considered to be of factored nutritive value.
Yes Blueberries are good to eat with their special tasting effects. However, they have umpteen health benefits too. Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Reduces fat especially in the belly region– A study by the University of Michigan has proved that consumption of blueberries is directly related to burning of fats in the belly region. Positive results of lowering triglyceride fats, cholesterol and abdominal fats have been shown with the regular consumption of this fruit.
- Prevents hypertension– Blueberries contains a chemical called the anthologists which are marked by the blue pigmentation of the fruit. Antonino helps to protects one from the condition of hypertension. In fact, it has shown a reduction in the stress levels by a considerable amount, making it an important fruit.
- Improves brain functioning– Anthologists are also directly linked to improving the functioning of the brain by a considerable amount as it triggers a part of the brain to send neuronal signals thus boosting up its functionality.
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer-Blueberries contains an important chemical called the prognosticate which is found to suppress the cause of colon cancer by a considerable amount. Colon cancer is the second dangerous level of cancer and hence in taking regular amount of blueberries can easily help to reduce the risk by a considerable amount.
- Boosts the overall metabolism of the body– Blueberries is rich in manganese which helps to boost the overall metabolism of the body.
With all these health benefits, blueberries seem to be an ideal fruit worth having on a daily basis.