Oranges are known as tangerine in parts of Europe and the UK. It belongs to the category of citrus fruits. Other fruits belonging to the same category include grapes, lemon and other variant of orange species known as mandarin oranges. The botanical name of the fruit is Citrus sinensis.
These tasty and luscious fruits can be eaten in a raw form and you can savor in the form of fresh juices. Orange juice provides you with instant energy. Marmalade jams are made from the fresh peel of oranges. Cakes or puddings are made from the peel as well. You can dry peels of oranges and use the same as a face-pack in order to get a glowing as well as a youthful skin. A lot of skin creams have orange extracts as a main ingredient to replenish damaged or worn out cells of the skin.
Health benefits of oranges
• Nutrients present in oranges are plentiful in nature. The fruit is low in calories and has no sources of cholesterol. It has dietary fiber which absorbs fat or cholesterol from the body.
• The dietary fiber takes away toxin chemicals from entering the colon of mucous membrane. It prevents forms of colon cancers thereby.
Oranges like other citrus fruits are excellent sources of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps in building your overall immunity and prevents inflammations near the nasal area or in the lungs from accumulating and causing infections.
The phyto-chemicals or nutrients present in oranges include hesperetin, naringin and naringenin. It provides useful anti-oxidants to the body responsible for overall growth and body development.
• Oranges are very good sources of Vitamin A and is enriched with alpha and beta carotenes. Vitamin A helps you maintain good vision and has a healthy effect on mucous membrane.
Citrus fruits in general are known for their wholesome nutritive properties and has many health benefits. The soluble and insoluble dietary fiber helps prevent cancers, obesity, arthritis and coronary heart diseases.
Selection and storage
Buy oranges fresh from the organic farm. These oranges are rich and bright in color, wrinkle free, feels heavy for their size and have a nice fresh aroma. Oranges can be kept a room temperature for over a week. And can be kept inside the fruit/vegetable compartment in a fridge for over two weeks. Fresh juices have to be kept in air-tight jars. Preferably friendly plastic containers can be used to enhance the freshness and nutritive value of the juices.
1. Oranges are great addition to green as well as fruit salads.
2. Orange fruit juice can be a refreshing drink which keeps you energetic and active for the rest of the day.
3. Oranges are used in the preparation of jams, juices and jellies.
4. Orange peel which has a zest factor attributed to it is used in the preparation of popular dishes. It has a rich flavor when added to various cuisines.
Having discussed the great benefits of oranges, you must be pretty convinced to arrange Fruit baskets delivery, UK as oranges form the core assortment pick.