Tired of oranges and apples? Do you want to taste or gift exotic fruits from around the globe? Here, is a list of unusual fruits derived from different parts of the planet, but now available in special shops domestically and markets in foreign countries:
• The Kiwano: With a spiky exterior, this yellow fruit has earned the nickname- the African horned Cucumber or Horned Melon. It is found in the African desert of Kalahari and tastes like a blend of lemon, banana, cucumber and kiwi.
• Physalis: It is similar to a gooseberry and develops inside a papery, long husk. It is related to the tomato, strangely enough. It has the same acidic flavour of a tomato and can be used for the same purposes like in salads.
• Cherimoya: Tasting like a blend of strawberry, pineapple and banana, it has a sweet and sour taste. But its seeds are poisonous and consuming its bark can cause paralysis, so despite the unique flavour, many prefer to give this fruit a miss.
• Synsepalum Dulcificum: This fruit is also nicknamed Miracle fruit. Wondering why? To begin with this fruit helps sour taste sweet. For example, if you eat these berries before you eat a lemon, the lemon will taste sweet.
• Custard Apple: It is also called as ‘bulls heart” and is famous for its medicinal properties. Native fruit of Africa, it is now grown across the Americas.
• Pitaya : Also called as Dragon fruit it has bright pink skin and white flesh inside and is noted for its unusual color and laxative properties.
• Durian: Known as “King of fruits”, one may be repelled by its spiky shell and the strange smell of its flesh, but it tastes divine like almonds.
• Carambola or Star fruit: Noted for the star shape of its cross section, this fruit grows in tropics and has a tasty flavour, which is a blend of papaya, grapefruit and oranges.
• Rambutan: Popular garden fruit in Asia, it resembles a Pom Pom. Flesh is pink or white, translucent and has a sweet taste. Each fruit contains a crunchy, soft seed that is poisonous when consumed raw.
• Ugly fruit: Because of its appearance, the fruit has earned the nickname of Ugly. It is native of Jamaica. Having a citrusy, sweet flavour, it is available in markets worldwide.
• Squared watermelon: These are watermelons grown in square containers, so they end up as square shaped fruit than the natural circular shape. Has the same taste but is more expensive.
• Pomegranate: More common exotic fruit, it is sour, delicious and highly medicinal in content.
• Ackee: It is the national fruit of Jamaica. Imported from West Africa, it is now an integral part of Caribbean cuisine. Only the fleshy, yellow, inner arils are edible. The red bits at the centre are poisonous.
• Mango Steen: Also called Mangkut. It is the queen of fruits in Thailand with purple cover and soft white flesh inside covering seeds. This delicious fruit is found all over south East Asia especially Thailand.
• Buddha’s hand: It is strange looking citrus fruit that has tapering yellow fingers joined to a base. Its lemony rind and pith are valued for its citrus taste.
• Screw pine: Fruit used for everything from food to dyes.
• Atemoya: It is a hybrid fruit made of Cherimoya and apples. Tastes like Pina Colada spiked with Vanilla.
• Snakeskin fruit: Name is due to appearance. Once the skin is off, fruit resembles garlic. Taste is a blend of acidic and sweet.
For gifting unusual fruits to near and dear ones, you can create or order fruit hampers containing a combination of any of these exotic fruits.