Fruits are a delicious food item. They are also extremely healthy for the body. They contain phytochemicals and antioxidants that counter free radicals in the body.
Phytochemicals are found in thousands in number and have anti oxidant qualities that protect against disease. They are found in different colours and so lend specific colours to various fruits.
Anti- oxidants are crucial substances that can protect the human body from the harmful effect of free radicals. Minerals, vitamins and some phytochemicals act as anti-oxidants in the body.
The main types of healthy fruits in the market are as follows:
- Apples: 1 medium contains 3g fibre and 75 calories. They contain anti-oxidants called as flavanoids, which counter the attack of asthma or diabetes. Every crunchy bite helps in freshening mouth and breath. Vitamins are located just below peel, so don’t peel them.
- Avocado: Half of one contains 114 calories, 4.5 gm fibre, Folate and Vitamin E. It also has nutritious mono unsaturated fats. Babies love the soft, creamy texture of avocado.
- Banana: One (medium) has 3 gm fibre and 105 calories and folate, potassium and vitamin B6. It has more potassium than any other fruit and helps lower level of blood pressure.
- Black berry: Half cup has 4 gm fibre and 31 calories as well as anti-oxidants. Anti-oxidant anthocyanin provides it the deep purple colour and helps reduce cancer and stroke.
- Cantaloupe: Half cup contains one gram fibre and 25 calories as well as folate, Potassium and vitamin A. It is rich in beta-carotene, which helps fight cataract.
- Cranberry: Half cup contains 2.5 gm fibre and 25 calories and rich in anti-oxidants. They have anti-bacterial qualities, which help treat urinary tract infection.
- Grapes: Half cup has less than 1 gm fibre and 53 calories and rich in Manganese. They contain Resveratrol, an antioxidant that prevents heart disease by preventing clotting of blood. It also prevents spread of cancer.
- Kiwi: 1 large Kiwi contains 3 gm fibre, 54 calories and Vitamins C and E. Containing more Vitamin C than oranges, it helps in the health of bones, teeth and cartilages. They help lower triglyceride levels in blood.
- Mango: Half medium contains 54 calories, 1.5 gm fibre, Vitamins E and A. It has antioxidants, which help protect vision.
- Orange: One contains 3 g fibre, 62 calories and Vitamins C, Potassium and folate. Vitamin C prevents disease in unborn infants while mother is pregnant and also contains phytochemical Hesperidine, which lowers blood cholesterol.
- Papaya: Half medium contains 3 gm fibre, 59 calories, vitamins C, A and Folate. They contain Papain, an enzyme that helps to digest. It helps in maintaining healthy skin.
- Pear: 1 medium has 5 gm fibre and 96 calories. Fibre is soluble, so it helps in treating constipation. It helps reduce levels of cholesterol and prevent heart disease.
- Raspberry: Half cup contains 4 gm fibre and 32 calories as well as magnesium and folate. It is rich in an anti oxidant called as Ellagic acid, which prevents cervical cancer.
- Water melon: Half cup contains less than 1gm fibre, 23 calories and vitamin A. It is full of water (92%), and is great for weight loss programs due to its low calories and sweet taste.
These are some of the top healthy fruits in the market. Choose from these fruits when you assemble fruit basket gift for a loved one.Fruit basket delivered in London must contain a few of these healthy fruits.